How To Get Your Car Ready for the Summer
You know that there are certain steps you need to take in order to prepare your car for the winter months, but do you know the steps to get your car ready for the summer?
Read on to learn some vehicle maintenance you should do before summertime comes.
Steps to Take
Check your air conditioner (A/C)
- The last thing you want is to be stuck driving in the summer heat without the relief of air conditioning. Additionally, when the humid weather brings rain, you want to make sure your air conditioning works so that you’ll be able to defrost your windshield.
- When testing your A/C, if the air coming out doesn’t feel cold enough, you may need more refrigerant. Be sure to replace your air filters often so that your A/C doesn’t work harder than it needs to.
Take a peek beneath the hood
- Be sure to do this once your vehicle has cooled down after driving—at least a good two hours. Check for loose or cracked hoses. Also, check on the rubber components—hoses and belts—to make sure they’re not warped or frayed. All caps should be tight and unbroken. There shouldn’t be debris blocking anything, particularly around the radiator and air filter. Check for leaks under the hood as well as on the floor.
Have the battery tested
- Bring your car to the local auto shop to have it tested. Extreme hot and cold temperatures can take a toll on the battery.
Check your tires
- Be sure your tires are inflated to the proper pressure so that they don’t wear unevenly; causing you to have to replace them more often. If you rotate and balance your tires regularly, you’ll get a longer life out of them.