Avoid Accidents in the Winter Months
Winter is a great time to get cozy on the couch by the fireplace with a good book or your favorite TV show. This is the season when the old is left behind to make way for the new.
Even though unfriendly weather is unavoidable during the winter, car accidents may still be averted. Whether injuries occur or not, vehicular accidents always come at some sort of expense.
Use the tips listed here to help you stay out of harm’s way on the road this winter.
Stay Safe on Winter Roads
There are several factors that come into play in order to stay secure on the road during the winter months:
- Inspect your vehicle. It is wise to put your car through a complete tuneup at the start of every season. Make sure your mechanic checks your heating and air conditioning setup, fuel and emission filters, battery, antifreeze, windshield wipers, and tires.
- Pack the essentials. It is a good idea to keep some emergency fundamentals in the car in case you are ever caught in a bind on the road. You may want to make an emergency kit containing tire chains, a shovel, a bag of salt, an ice scraper, a toolkit, blankets, snacks, and water.
- Turn on headlights. Visibility is severely reduced during bad weather events, so it is useful to have lights set to automatic, or make sure you turn them on by hand in the early mornings and evenings. Keep in mind that automatic headlights may not power on if it is raining or snowing, so make it a habit to check that they’re on.
- Always wear a seat belt. This might seem obvious, but wearing your seat belt degrades your risk of fatality in a traffic accident by 45%.
- Drive slow. It is significantly more difficult for your car to slow down and come to a stop in wet and icy conditions. Generally, it is wise to follow the three-second rule, which is to remain three seconds abaft the car in front of you so you are able to stop.
Reduce Your Wreck Risk
While crashes may not always be avoided, the aforementioned tips can help you greatly reduce your risk of being involved in a car accident this winter.
If you do happen to find yourself in a wreck, the knowledgable and experienced attorneys at Templeton Smithee Hayes Heinrich & Russell are here to help navigate your claim.
Call Templeton Smithee Hayes Heinrich & Russell today at (806) 397-0300. We represent clients in the Texas panhandle and Eastern New Mexico.