Knowledge. Experience. Success.
Joe W. Hayes
- Oil and Gas Transactions and Litigation
- Real Estate Transactions and Litigation
- Probate and Trust Litigation
- Eminent Domain Litigation
Born in Borger, Texas, April 2, 1947, Joe attended West Texas State University, receiving a B.S. in 1969, and was a member of Alpha Chi scholastic fraternity. Joe is a 1972 graduate of Texas Tech University Law School where he graduated as a President's Scholar with highest honors and is a member of Order of the Coif. Joe is rated A-V Preeminent by Martindale.com-Hubbell and was recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer in the area of Energy/Oil & Gas by Texas Monthly and Law & Politics in 2005, 2006 and 2021.
Joe has represented clients involving numerous issues concerning oil and gas (with particular emphasis on mineral interest owners) and real property issues, including the negotiation and drafting of hundreds of oil and gas leases, surface use agreements, seismic survey permits, easement agreements, purchase and sale agreements, conveyances, and many other real property related agreements, including solar leases. Joe has participated in more than 150 trials and 35 appeals in state and federal courts, many of which have involved oil and gas and other real property issues, including:
- Title to mineral and other real property interests.
- Extension and termination of oil and gas leases.
- Extension and termination of overriding royalty interests.
- Wrongful production of oil and gas.
- Wrongful pooling of oil and gas leases.
- Improper charges of expenses against oil and gas royalty interests.
- Enforcement of gas purchase and processing agreements.
- Enforcement of Joint Operating Agreements.
- Adverse possession of mineral and other real property interests.
- Partition of mineral and other real proper interests.
- Enforcement of preferential rights to purchase oil and gas leasehold interests, mineral interests and other real property interests.
- Condemnation of real property.
- Inverse condemnation of real property.
- Enforcement of purchase and sale agreements of mineral interests and other real property interests.
- Environmental contamination of real property.
- Amarillo National Bank Trust Department
- FirstBank Southwest Trust Department
- Herring Bank Trust Department
- Courson Oil & Gas, Inc.
- PGS Operating Company, LLC
- Hayhook, Ltd.
- Jaten Oil Company
- Wright Ranch, Inc.
- Britt Enterprises, Inc.
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit